Heating 101: Selecting a New Furnace
GRmetro Heating and Cooling is a locally owned and operated HVAC company serving homeowners throughout Grand Rapids, Michigan and the surrounding areas.
Winter isn’t going anywhere any time soon, so over the next couple of months, you’re going to be using your furnace quite consistently. But, what happens if your furnace can no longer keep up with your household’s heating demands? Certainly, having a faulty furnace in the middle of the winter is not something you should ever have to deal with… so what do you do?
If you are dealing with a fussy furnace, it might just be that it is time for a replacement. Selecting a new furnace is no small task, which is why it is best to speak with a professional before you make any final decisions. Below, we have provided a “quick guide” for selecting and installing a new furnace in your home. Keep reading to learn more!
Your Guide to Selecting a New Furnace
Step One: Knowing When to Replace Your Existing Furnace
The first step in installing a new furnace is knowing when to replace your existing system. Of course, only a professional HVAC technician can truly determine whether or not a replacement is your best option, but we’ve decided to give you a bit of a head start. Consider replacing your furnace if:
- It’s old: Although built to last, the average lifespan of a furnace is anywhere between 10-15 years. If your furnace has aged beyond this life expectancy, it might just be time for a replacement.
- It requires frequent repair: Your furnace should not require more than just a couple of repairs every few years. So, if you have found yourself calling for repairs any more than that, it might be that your system is simply worn out.
- You are paying more for heat: We recommend keeping a close eye on your heating bills because a steady rise in heating costs indicates that your system is inefficient.
- You notice a lack of heat: The primary role of your furnace is to keep your home warm and cozy, so if it is unable to keep up with your heating demands, why bother?
Step Two: Choosing Your New System
After you’ve decided to replace your current furnace, it is time to select the make and model of furnace that will best meet your needs. No matter what, though, it is important to choose a high-efficiency system, as this will save you both time and money on repairs and utility bills. In addition, you will have to select which fuel source you will use:
- Gas furnaces: Natural gas is highly efficient and often inexpensive, especially if you live in a home with access to natural gas lines.
- Electric furnaces: Although more expensive, electricity is super efficient. Electricity is a great choice if you live somewhere where it is relatively cheap.
Step Three: Professional Installation
After you’ve selected the best furnace for your home, it is time to have it professionally sized and installed. Your furnace must be an appropriate size for your home to maximize efficiency and effectiveness. Professional furnace installation in Grand Rapids, MI ensures that your new system is set up for success. Be sure to trust only a trained HVAC professional for all your installation and future maintenance services.
If you are in the market for a new heater, be sure to contact the team at GRmetro Heating & Cooling.